Monday, March 9, 2009

Stuck!

So originally for this next project I was planning on composing for concert band, but now that is gone out the window! I've been trying to figure out what to do but became extremly stuck. After trying to come up with an inspiration I decided to use a poem by my favorite WWI poet Wilfred Owen - "Dulce et Decorum est". To support the very descriptive and powerful nature of the poem I decided to use a brass ensemble ( 3 trumpets, 4 horns, Euphonium, 3 trombones and tuba) along with percussion. I will have someone reading the poem, seperated into 3 parts, over top of a drone and perhaps a drum roll, with music developing between each reading. My ideas were well received in class and it was suggested to lean towards atonality (which i totally agree with!) because the poem calls for it, and to also use more militarisitc elements particularly in the percussion (which I also intend on doing, lots of drum rolls etc.) Hopefully over the next week I am able to come up with something I like!

-Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment