Monday, March 16, 2009

Odysseus's Perils

So as I presented today I am using book 12 of the odyssey as inspiration for this assignment. This poem by Homer is divided into 24 seperate books with number 12 being Odysseus's encounter with the sirens, scylla and charybdis. The sirens are creatures whose song is the most beautiful sound that entices anyone who hears it. Scylla is six headed creature that eats sailors and Charybdis is a creature that sucks the ocean water, creating a whirlpool, that drags down unsuspecting ships. Now that I have finally decided on a concrete idea, and have settled on concert band I am alot more excited about this project.

My ideas were well received and I also had some great comments, such as:
-develop the pentachord further, such as expanding the range
-could fade the pentachord figure out or layer on top with different tonalities
-should start developing the theme for the sirens, decide whether to be pretty or quite the opposite representing the evilness of the sirens
-bring in the siren song slowly, hint at it over the moving line, as if it is in the distant
These are all great ideas and I look forward to further development of my composition!

-Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment