Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Whirlpool

So over this past week my piece has come a long way, which is very exciting! I'm so glad that I finally have a direction and a plan to follow, leaving little chance for me to experience composer's block.
I presented in class again this past friday and it went very well! It was the first time with actual performers and the unusually large audience was rather intimidating but my composition was very well recieved. The comments I received were great, and everything Scott had to say was very insightful.
Some comments were:
-work on the transitions between sections so the piece is more unified
-introduce some motivic material earlier in the piece to foreshadow what is to come (I will definitely try to do this)
- letting the first trumpet play out over the texture was used well and in good contrast, maybe extend this section, or take a little longer to start this
- bring back the "wind" effect later in the middle of the piece instead of just beginning and ending with it
-in the aleatoric section work on the notation, put a full score in each part at this time so all of the players are aware of what is happening and are able to stay in time ( i think this is a great idea, i was trying to figure out the best method to this all week!)
-work at dynamic contrasts!

Although I still have a bit of work to do, I think this piece is really coming together and will hopefully be finished for next friday!

-Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment