Saturday, January 31, 2009

Attempt #2...

So after last week I decided that I really didn't like what I had originally presented. I liked the bass line but that was pretty well it, so I trashed it! I picked an excerpt from "The Whirlpool" by Jane Urquart and then based my new composition on it. It opens with the horn & trumpets blowing through their instruments while the Tuba & Trombone crumple paper, this is supposed to represent wind and rustling trees. The tuba and trombone then come in with a bass line, followed by the upper voices. Then there is a 16th note passage that repeats over and over like water, and a "random note" section follows.

Even though I only had bits and pieces actually written out, I'm very happy that I planned out the piece so I know where I am going with my composition. I think my idea was well received. People thought that the piece was definitely going well, and really fit the paragraph that I read in class. It was also suggested that I develop some of the figures further, expanding and adding to what I already have.

Overall I am extremely happy about where this piece is going and I hope that I get even more accomplished this week so that I can get it played by the brass quintet.

-Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment