Thursday, January 15, 2009

and so it begins...

So here we are back for another, sure to be great semester. Of course it wouldn't be complete without composition class, woot! After last semester I am so excited to continue learning and expanding my abilities/knowledge of composition. The set assignments for this term sound extremely interesting, and I enjoy the fact that we get to further explore composing in a "non-tonal" manner.
I'm looking forward to the final assignment in particular, hopefully my 12 years of concert band experience will help! Even so, the instrumentation is so much larger then what we have used before that it is still going to be a daunting endeavour.

To start the first assignment we had to create 3 atonal chords, and then put all of the notes together to create a unique scale. I used fairly dense chords (which i highly enjoy) but for the longest while i kept getting a chromatic scale. I finally worked out thick chords that created a not so chromatic scale: D, E-flat, F-sharp, G, G-sharp, B-flat, B, C & D. My scale is still very chromatic in sections but there are larger intervals that break it up. Overall I think it sounds great and I believe I can accomplish a lot with it!

-Jill

1 comment:

  1. Your 8-note scale has lots of possibilities for great chords built into it, and the fact that it has minor, major, and augmented seconds means there is are lots of options in terms of constructing a melodic line. Great journal entry, and I'm really looking forward to this class as well!

    ReplyDelete